What is it ?
s6-frontend is still in development.
s6-frontend is a frontend to the s6 ecosystem. It is made of
- A set of user-friendly commands, making it easier to manage a
s6-based system for people who are used to other tools.
- An independent configuration file format,
and tools that automatically analyze a configuration written in that
format and transform it into a configuration suitable for booting a
s6-rc. This should help
users who are not familiar with s6 and s6-rc directory-based configuration
but are used to, for instance, systemd unit files.
- A prepackaged set of configuration files, implementing policy,
suitable for booting a large majority of Linux-based systems. This should
help distributions that want to switch to s6 but do not want to rewrite all
their init scripts in yet another format.
These parts are all independent from one another. But when put all together,
they implement a powerful, fast, turnkey init system that is usable on
- A Linux-based system with a standard C development environment
- GNU make, version 3.81 or later
- skalibs version
220.127.116.11 or later
- execline version
18.104.22.168 or later
- s6 version
22.214.171.124 or later
- s6-rc version
0.5.1.1 or later
- s6-linux-init version
126.96.36.199 or later
Those are all build-time dependencies as well as run-time dependencies.
skalibs is only a run-time dependency if you link the binaries against
the shared version of the skarnet library.
s6-frontend is free software. It is available under the
- See the enclosed INSTALL file for installation details.
- This page lists the differences to be aware of between
the previous versions of s6-frontend and the current one.
All these commands exit 111 if they encounter a temporary error, and
100 if they encounter a permanent error - such as a misuse.
- s6-frontend is discussed on the
- There is a #s6 IRC channel on Freenode. Sometimes people
are there and even answer questions.